Today is Good Friday. Here are some key facts about today which will perhaps make it sound not quite so ‘good’:
- It is the day when Jesus Christ was nailed to the cross, often known as the Crucifixion.
- It was on Good Friday that He was beaten and tortured for claiming to be the Son of God.
- A crown of thorns was put on His head to make a mockery of Him.
- Jesus was forced to carry His own cross to the top of the hill.
- He suffered for hours, and it is said that the skies turned dark as if in mourning.
- The ‘good’ element is thought to have evolved from ‘God Friday’. Some believe the reason it is good is because He gave up His life for us, and rose from the dead, proving that He really was the Son of God.
- There were two criminals crucified alongside Jesus Christ: “And with him they crucified two robbers, one on his right and one on his left” (Mark 15:27).
- One of these became known as the ‘Good Thief’. This is because he was truly repentant of his sins:
“One of the criminals who was hanged railed at him, saying, ‘Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!’ But the other rebuked him, saying, ‘Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly; for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.’ And he said, ‘Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.’ And he said to him, ‘Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise'” (Luke 23 39:43)
- Good Friday is also a day when it is traditional to eat Hot Cross Buns, so enjoy!
I will be here with the last post in my 40 day Lent series tomorrow! Join me as I wrap up before Easter.